Principal Transit Planner – Service Development
Spokane Transit’s Planning and Development department is searching for a Principal Transit Planner for Service Development. There couldn’t be a better time to join our Service Development team. We are in the midst of our ten-year plan called STA moving forward and we are rapidly implementing large agency transit technologies like battery electric bus technology, bus rapid transit services, and a multitude of capital improvements. Our growth doesn’t end there. Our long-range planning is developing our next 10-year plan that will bring a new set of projects, services, and technology that will bolster STA’s value to the community. STA is searching for analytical people leader who is passionate about Transit and is excited to lead the development of routes, work with the community and transit stakeholders to drive valuable service development, and plan the future of transportation services to make STA a better overall organization.
The Principal Transit Planner position leads and oversees a department within the STA Planning and Development department. Assigned responsibilities include a wide variety of professional and technical analysis, reporting and compliance activities, and stakeholder engagement and coordination. The work requires a high degree of accuracy, interpersonal and communication skills, and aptitude at learning, developing, and applying policies. In addition to supervision of assigned staff and functions, the position may directly manage high profile, significant agency initiatives and projects with or without consultants. These projects may also include a great deal of public and inter-jurisdictional involvement. The position requires applying a wide range of technical transit planning knowledge to work activities, in addition to developing and maintaining positive relationships with staff, peers and the public.
Ideal Candidate Profile
- Experienced in applying statistical concepts to analyze data
- Effective communicator and can build relationship with transit stakeholders to implement transportation solutions
- Experienced in managing long-term projects
- Able to create and evaluate transportation performance reports
- Experienced team leader who can adapt leadership to work with diverse high performance teams
- Passionate about Transit
- Experience conducting bus route Service design and schedule changes with robust public input
- Broad range of transit experience and understanding of different scheduling techniques and considerations
- Genuine interest in serving customer needs in part because you endeavor to use transit regularly
- Masters degree
- Annual salary of $76,706 – $102,793
- Robust medical plans with affordable monthly premiums
- Dental plan with affordable monthly premiums
- WA State Public Employee’s Retirement System (PERS) defined benefit plan
- Health Reimbursement Arrangement (HRA) employer contribution of $50/month
- Basic life and long-term disability insurance
- Competitive vacation & sick leave
- 7 paid holidays plus 4 floating holidays per year
- Free bus passes for employee and dependents
- Onsite workout facility
- Cell phone carrier discount
- Gym membership discount
Examples of Duties
• Responsible for managing, leading, instructing, mentoring, and coordinating the assigned functions, projects
and personnel through regular meetings and communication.
• Prepare and oversee the preparation of staff reports, technical documentation, planning guidelines to
support the functions of the Department.
• Research, evaluate, and recommend to the Director, programs and courses of action for transit planning;
data collection and analysis; and grant preparation and administration.
• Analyze and report on demographic, employment, building permit, comprehensive planning and other data
• Represent STA and the Department in diverse technical committees and projects, both internal and external.
• Oversee staff participation in external committees and projects, ensuring accurate and timely reporting of
• Review and comment on planning studies, reports, and recommendations issued by partner jurisdictions.
• Integrate transit plans into the requirements of the Growth Management Act and other land use and
transportation statutes and regulations
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in transportation or urban planning, economics, business or public administration, engineering or related degree
- Seven (7) years of progressive responsibility in Planning related work with three (3) years of transit related experience
Interested in Applying?
Qualified individuals are strongly encouraged to apply. Please submit a cover letter and resume as an attachment to your online application. If you have questions regarding this position or need assistance, please contact Andrew Tackett, HR Specialist, via email [email protected] Candidate review will begin 2/17/2022 however this position is open until filled.
Spokane Transit is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of age, disability, ethnicity/race, national origin, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation or veteran status.